As the leading professional marketing association in Australia, the Australian Marketing Institute offers a platform to advance your thinking, develop your skills, fuel your development and fulfil your potential – so that you are equipped to take on the challenges of a changing marketplace.
Professional Advancement for marketers
Following recent research undertaken by the Institute into the future of marketing, the marketing short courses through our professional development program have been reshaped to assist professional marketers to prepare themselves for the challenges of today and tomorrow:
- Refreshing their knowledge of fundamental principles and advanced marketing practices
- Learning from the latest developments in the local and global marketplace
- Organising the Institute’s professional development program with a degree of customisation in each state to reflect local industry needs
Each year the Australian Marketing Institute runs professional advancement programs with marketing short courses for over 7,500 marketers across Australia, including expert overseas facilitators.
Becoming a Certified Practising Marketer (CPM)
Certified Practising Marketer (CPM) is the profession’s performance measure and the industry’s benchmark. CPM has been developed:
- To define the marketing profession by achieving a balance between experience and conceptual competence and establish an industry-recognised imprimatur.
- To ensure that the marketing profession continues to advance with knowledge and information expansion.
- To protect the image of the profession by ensuring that only experienced and qualified practitioners are recognised as “professional marketers”.
Under the auspices of CPM, a professional development program is provided to bridge the gap between the academic achievement of qualified marketers and hands-on experience of professional marketing practitioners.
A professional development committee develops training policies and structured programs to assist marketers attain certifiable practising standards. These practising standards must be achieved through a combination of work experience within a marketing environment and tertiary qualifications.
The Australian Marketing Institute offers a range of education, training and professional development programs that provide a path to attaining CPM certification.
CPM’s also receive a subscription to the Institute’s customised version of the intelligent and highly readable UK Marketing Society’s publication, Marketing Leader, issued quarterly – described by Sir Martin Sorrell (WPP Group plc) as “a handsome, thoughtfully written publication which, miraculously, seems to have found a genuine gap in the market.”
Go to information on Certified Practising Marketer
Marketing metrics and dashboard tool
Only professional and corporate members of the AMI have access to the world-class resources available in the AMI’s Marketing Value website.
Marketing Value provides frameworks and tools to explore and develop marketing metrics systems. A key feature is an interactive dashboard development system that provides a suggested list of key metrics, based on a straightforward question-and-answer format.
Marketing Value is an excellent resource for marketers, CFOs, CEOS and analysts.
Go to the Marketing Value site (member login required for access)
Events, webinars and podcasts
Each state has a comprehensive program of events, including evening seminars, breakfast seminars, workshops, and networking opportunities. These events are available to members at special rates. In addition, the AMI holds a number of major conferences including:
- The Annual Conference. This is the premier event for the marketing profession, involving leading business and marketing professionals from Australia and overseas.
- The Government Marketing and Communications Conference. This offers the opportunity to focus on the unique challenges of public sector marketing.
- Other conferences include the Queensland Marketing Summit, Marketing Week (Adelaide), and the Canberra Marketing Forum.
- Our event program offers you excellent networking opportunities to get to know people in the profession, from new entrants to the ‘leading lights’.
AMI members receive advance information and special registration rates for our conferences.
Go to information on State Events
Recognising professional achievements
The annual AMI Awards for Marketing Excellence recognise outstanding marketers and their work at State Awards ceremonies. Winners become eligible to win National Awards in their chosen category.
The Sir Charles McGrath Award recognises outstanding individual achievements in marketing practice over a long period of service to the community, and is the highest honour bestowed by the profession.
The CPM Marketer of the Year Award recognises long-term service to marketing and long-term marketing achievement.
The Australian Marketing Institute has instigated the Mark Crowe Future Leader Award. This award recognises excellence in leadership qualities and marketing skills.
Go to information on Awards
Employers recognise the commitment to professional excellence that comes with membership; it also gives you access to marketing ideas that you can use in your own work to advance your career.
Preferential discounts for members
We offer you access to our web-based services, including information about events, magazines and journals, and our library of marketing articles, podcasts and webinar recordings. Members receive our regular online newsletter Marketing Update, and a subscription to B&T magazine. CPM members also receive Market Leader magazine four times a year.
AMI members gain access to a range of products and services at special rates:
- 10% discounts for shared web hosting, online business tools and business email services, plus other special offers, from WebCentral
- Automatic cover for most members for professional indemnity insurance from Austbrokers Countrywide, plus access to discounted insurance products
- Special benefits on car rental from Hertz.
- Access to the Qantas Club at corporate rates
- Media auditing information services from AMAA
For more information about these benefits, go to the Member Preferential Rates and Discounts page.
Industry leading publications
So that members of the Australian Marketing Institute continue to advance their marketing knowledge and skills, these hard copy and digital publications provide the latest in marketing:
- Online delivery of the AMI’s bi-monthly newsletter, Marketing Update
- Subscription to B&T magazine (opt-in required)
- Access to the AMI website’s online member-only pages, which include an extensive library, thought leadership series, marketing metrics and dashboard tools and more
Go to information on Join
Professional Indemnity insurance
Designed to underpin the value professional marketers provide the businesses they work with, this ground-breaking insurance scheme provides automatic cover for current financial members of the Australian Marketing Institute, with some conditions.
For instance, Australian Marketing Institute members who are consultants of their own practice and generating gross fees of up to $275,000 are protected through this cover.
Go to information on Professional Indemnity insurance
Emerging Marketers and mentoring
Emerging Marketers is a national special interest group initiative of the Australian Marketing Institute (AMI), designed to cater specifically for the needs of marketing students from tertiary institutions, recent marketing graduates and marketers with less than five years of experience.
Emerging Marketers provides opportunities to network and socialise with other marketing students, recent graduates or emerging marketers at dedicated events.
The Emerging Marketers program is developed by young marketers, features guest speakers that are young marketers and is run by young marketers, with the guidance of the Institute.
By developing your marketing capabilities and your professional contacts through Emerging Marketers, you will increase your competitive advantage in your career.
Go to information on Emerging Marketers
By being a member of the leading professional marketing body in Australia, you are also with the group that leads the accreditation of marketing courses in Australia, ensuring continued professional and industry relevance for future marketers.